Let me start this article by admitting: I am obsessed with the Curly Girl Method! There, I said it. This method of taking care of my hair has completely changed it to a point where it is now curlier and healthier than ever! But what is the Curly Method, what products can you use and what should you gift to somebody in you life who is following the method (even if that somebody is you)? Continue reading to find out!
Lorraine Massey is the author of the best-selling book, Curly Girl: The Handbook. I bought my copy on Amazon and this is where I, as well as most people (both girls and guys!) start their curly hair journey. I read the book in a day and immediately ordered new hair products to try out! I ditched my sulfate-ridden, sillicon-y shampoo and conditioner and never looked back. I also haven’t straightened my hair since then and haven’t used any heat on it. And the results are so worth it!
However, I can’t say my Curly Hair journey has been without any bumps. I don’t think I have ever washed my hair and gotten the same results twice, it just never happens. Some days my curls are bouncy and happy, and others there are limpy and frizzy. The more I experiment, however, the more I find out what products actually work for my hair and what do not. So, to help my fellow curly girls who are just starting their journey, I created a list of my top 10 hair “accessories” or tools, which made a massive difference for me. And if you are somebody who is looking for a gift for a curly girl in your life, you can’t go wrong with those options!
1. Wooden hair dryer organiser - help your curly girl organise her favourite hair dryer with this cool wooden rack
2. Mini Keychain Brush - as you know, on the Curly girl method, you are not supposed to brush or comb your hair as this pulls out the hair’s natural curl pattern. Now, many curly girls use some kind of large tooth comb or modified Denman brush to work the conditioner through their hair in the shower. I personally use the Denman brush on my hair. But what do you do when you are on the go and you need a Denman’s brush? Check out this cute mini keychain brush!
3. Hair Turban - every curly girl needs a good quality hair wrap and microfibre is the best material that won’t cause frizz
4. Professional Hairspray Bottle - this spray bottle is great for refresh days
5. Silk Sleeping Cap Beanie - a silk beanie is awesome for avoiding hair knots at night
6. Invisibobble - invisibobbles are probably the least damaging way to tie your hair
7. Silicone Scalp Brush - who needs to shampoo their hair for hours and hours when you have a silicone scalp brush?
8. Satin Lined Winter Hat - winters can be tough on curly hair! This winter hat, however, is lined with satin so that it wouldn’t cause frizz or damage your hair
9. Geometric Hairpin - hair accessories can totally make your day! This geometric hairpin is super minimalistic but so trendy!
10. Satin Pillowcase - if a silk bonnet is not your thing, then maybe a satin pillowcase will do! It is also great for your skin and it prevents wrinkles. If you want to be extra and super boujee (and honestly, who doesn't?), check out this 100% silk pillowcase!
A bonus tip: one of the biggest game-changers for me was getting a shower filter. I have listed here my top 3 shower filters on Amazon, be sure to check it out!